Monday, December 31, 2012

The New Year’s Resolution for Every Mom


It is the year-end already! It is the time when most of us make resolutions for the coming brand New Year. I have one resolution that should be at the top of every mom’s list.
Taking time for myself .
Being a mom is always stressful. Supporting a family and a child is demanding and difficult and balancing your working hours makes it so stressful all the time. Your lives are busier than ever. Now, to make it even tougher we have raised our expectation as parents. We constantly strive to help our children become good people, successful and make them socially and emotionally intelligent.

In this brand new year 2013, I resolve to make sure to keep some time to care for myself. I know, you would say, who has the time. However, taking a little time everyday to care for you – even if it is just 5 minutes will help. You get to stop and catch your breath. This will be the greatest gift you will ever gift yourself and believe me or not, it will be an even greater gift to your child. You will feel calmer, happier and less reactive. This tiny little break will make you more present, attentive and patient parent.

Some of the greatest stress busters I feel are getting to yoga, brisk walking and meditation and even relaxation exercises. As for me, I love to walk and I go for a brisk walk everyday for 15 minutes while DS is at school.

I got the idea while reading about a Buddhist monk Pema Chödrön. Maitri, as they say, is unconditional friendliness towards oneself. The word unconditional friendliness itself makes you feel good. We parents always love to make it hard on ourselves and feel we fall short as parents, partners and people.
In a bid to make the world a better place for my child I pledge to start with myself and make me kinder, gentler and unconditionally friendly to myself.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment